Week 14: Dante - Reading B

I feel like there are a lot of different interpretations on how to pronounce all the names that are presented in this story. Chiron, and Ariadne could be pronounced 10 different ways I feel.

I wonder what Crimson Boiling is.

Man. They are pretty detailed with all that they see in the rings of hell, and it seems pretty gruesome and pretty cool. I guess you can't expect much more of hell...

The author makes a lot of comparisons when he's writing. He just referenced Icarus and Daedalus and compared it to his situation, and he's done that a ton throughout the reading.

It seems that Virgil can talk his way out of any situation. He is a character with logic and the ability to reason with his enemies. Not unlike Captain Jack Sparrow....

A man is being tortured in hell because he saw fit to martyr one man for the sake of the people. That seems a morally ambiguous grey area. I don't know...

The art included with this story is really interesting. It's not very detailed, but it also shows us exactly what character in the story is referencing.

Nimrod. Interesting name. Today, it has become something of an insult, but when this was written, I wonder how different it was.

I thought I had read that this was all a dream, and that Dante had woken up back home with his sons and family, but I must have read wrong. It must be a different case.


I don't think I have ever read a description of Satan before, so that was really cool. To read Dante's depiction of Satan, learning more about literature and history, that was cool.
Image result for satan dante
Gustave Dore's Satan

Bibliography:

Dante's Divine Comedy, translated by Tony Kline (2002).

http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/07/myth-folklore-unit-dantes-inferno.html

Comments

Popular Posts