Week 14: StoryLab - TEDEd Videos: Language

The metrics they are using to compare the languages and determine similarity are really valid and a good choice.

Oh my god. 3000-8000 languages?? That's insane.

That was a super interesting video. I know the story of the tower of babel but have never considered the repercussions of what it might mean for languages across the world.

HeartyWelcome - Hot chocolate and jackets and warm clothes and christmas

Cordial Reception - Suits and wine and a formal dinner

Norman Conquest?? :)

Norman King??? :)))

Man, she predicted exactly what I had described. She's smart. Oh shoot. I'm a Saxon.

Because I definitely prefer a hearty welcome.

That's a cool concept. Thinking about our history lives on through our speech and words. That's cool.

Loved that cat.

Holy cow. This is a lot.

I didn't realize there were so many different aspects of our language, and truly how complicated it could be.

That was a very insightful video.

Love how this new video started.

Conlangs...

I didn't quite realize that Tolkien had created an entire language for LOTR. That's pretty incredible.

WOW! Not only did Tolkien create a language, he created dialects and modeled the changes between each dialect after the changes that "real languages" experienced. That is incredible.

WOOOOWWWW! Tolkien is crazy talented.

That was SO COOL!

1000 new words every year? That seems surprising.

I wonder who borrows more? English from foreign languages, or foreign languages from English?

Oh that's cool. I didn't know Villain's history but I do now and that's cool.

Language academies??? Why didn't I know about this?

That was a pretty crazy video. I never would have guessed some of the information that he gave us.

YEAH! WHO CAME UP WITH SEMICOLONS ANYWAY?!?!

I did not know about the semicolon rules, so that's cool.

Oh I know I'm gonna benefit from this apostrophe video.

Well I learned that even knowing the right way to use it is confusing, so really, I'm back to where I started.

Hmmm. Descriptivism and Presciptivism. Interesting ideas, though I think I prefer the former.

I find language fascinating, and if I wasn't engineering, I would probably do linguistics or something of the sort.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts