Week 11 Story: What came first?

When the world was young, the creator roamed the land with the creatures he had made and all was peaceful. 

One day, the creatures of the land grew tired of the same plants they were eating and so they approached the creator and asked for him to plant a new food. 

The creator was more than happy to provide for his children, so he planted a small seed, which soon became a towering tree that provided the beasts of the land with thousands of red and green fruit. The seeds of the eaten fruit were planted and hundreds and thousands of trees containing red and green fruit started to grow. 

The creatures of the land were happy, but quickly wanted more. So they approached the creator again, and asked for something new. 

The creator was more than happy to supply his children with new sensations so he gave them a bundle of purple fruit and planted a vineyard, so they could have this new sensation he had given them whenever they wanted. He also gave them fruits that were orange and yellow. Fruits that were green on the outside and yellow on the inside. And fruits that were a beautiful pink color. 

While the creatures of the land were immensely happy and thankful, they wanted to know the names of the fruit they were eating. 

So the creator told them. 

The red and green fruit are called apples. The red ones are very sweet but the green ones are very sour. So be careful with those. 

The purple ones are called grapes and can be made to use wine. Like the apples, some are sweet but some are sour. 

The yellow one is called a banana. Bananas are sweet through and through, so no need to worry about that one. 

The fruit that is green on the outside, but yellow on the inside is a mango. It lies right in the middle of being sweet and sour. 

The beautiful pink fruit is called a dragon fruit. It is named this because of it's rough exterior. 

Finally, my favorite fruit, is the orange. It has been around since the beginning of creation itself, and is what I ate when I created the land you walk on, and even when I created you. 

The creatures of the land became confused. 

Orange? Like the color?

That's correct. I know, it's not very creative, but it's fitting. Don't you think? 

Sure! The creatures of the land were satisfied with his answer, but one creature stepped forward. 

A cat approached the creator and asked a question that people have been asking each other for millennia. 

Well, which came first? The color or the fruit?

The creator leaned down, and looked the cat right in the eyes and said.....

The end. 
Image result for orange
Orange
Author's note: 

Wow that was bad. I had no idea where I wanted to go with this story, but I know I wanted to play with the idea of writing a story that tied to this question. Here we are. I didn't follow a particular story, but rather, an idea that I got from a story that I read. So the link to that story is below. 

Story Source: 

Myths and Legends of Alaska, edited by Katharine Berry Judson (1911).






Comments

  1. Hey Rhett! I loved the title of your story. It really caught my attention and made me want to continue reading it! I loved the very end.. but I also hated the very end. I just wanted to learn the answer but it left us on a cliff-hanger! This is such a unique and fun way to end the story. Overall, this was a really great story, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhett!
    I thought your open communication about your struggles with this story in the author's note was very honest and humorous. While reading this story, I was drooling at the mouth craving all the fruits you discussed with fantastic words of imagery and description. Perhaps, I would embed the quotes within your story with quotation marks or an indentation to assist with the fluidity and transitions of the plot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts