Week 10 Reading: Alaska - Reading A

Hello! We are diving into the Alaska Unit this week, so I'm excited actually!

This story so far has been very simple in it's wording. I understand that it's very old, but I have never noticed that until this story set.

I like this creation story so far. Reindeer have spots because of where Man was holding the clay when Raven made them real. I think that's interesting.

I guess in this culture, God is substituted for Raven.

I wonder if clay has any significance in the Inuit culture.

Creation of the walrus! Very interesting! I like that the Inuit stories are giving their own story for the creation of all the animals! I think that's really unique.

An origin story for the teeth of reindeer. That is oddly specific.

That was cool. Their was an explanation for why a certain people do not a certain food.

The Flood. Something that has appeared throughout several cultures makes another appearance today. I am not surprised.

That was a super quick story but also gave the origins of the tide which is really cool.

These stories were super interesting and I enjoyed reading them a lot.

Image result for inuit
Inuit

Source:

Myths and Legends of Alaska, edited by Katharine Berry Judson (1911).

http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/05/alaska-ravens-creation.html

Comments

Popular Posts