Ted Talks Story Lab

Hello again!

I love TedTalks so I'm very excited for these videos.

Her description of literature that she read growing up is very wokeifying. 

That's not a word, but you know what I mean.

Chimamanda is exactly right. When I think of the average lifestyle of an African people, the stigma that comes to mind is a poor, almost poverty-ridden lifestyle. And because of my ignorance and lack of knowledge of African people, I wouldn't know any better. The only thing I know is what the media shows me, and that is mostly through movies

Like the man she talks about in her story, we are both equally ignorant.

One of the things that comes to mind from her talk is "History is written by the victors." And I think that for the most part, that is true.

I'd like to dig a little deeper into her final statement.

She said when we realize, as a people, that there is more than one story, we regain a type of paradise.

So my thoughts on that are, when we dispose of our preconceived ideas that people from Africa are poor, or people from third world countries are poor, and truly dive into their culture and truly see the people and the places for who and what they are, we are enlightened to the fact that it is beautiful.

Their people and their places all have their own uniqueness to them, and it's unlike any other people or culture in the world. And their is beauty in that.

I think that's what she meant. I could be wrong. I don't know.

HEY THIS TEDTALK IS AT OU!!

That's a lot of time spent on Harry Potter.....

So... this hits close! HAHA!!

My favorite books are called the Name of the Wind and the Wise Man's Fear and when I teel you that I reall invest in these books, I REALLY invest in them.

Like, I get so happy when Kvothe, the main character succeeds, and when he is having trouble in his love ventures, I feel that with him. It's hard to describe.

You know when your best friend succeeds, you are really happy for them?

It's that same feeling. When Kvothe gets his pipes (HUGE success for him) I am so happy, I can't stop smiling. It's weird I know, but it's true. I don't know. Maybe I'm just strange, which is very likely,

She also talks about the effects of these relationships.

The Name of the Wind and the Wise Man's Fear is a trilogy. We've been waiting EIGHT YEARS FOR THE THIRD BOOK. Eight years. It's affecting me. And then I stop caring. And then I'll pick up the book again and start reading and then get mad all over again.

I want the third book SO BAD.

Also, if Patrick Rothfuss (the author of my favorite book series) killed Kvothe, I would be LIVID. I would need to speak to him in person. Like, it would be a problem.

WOW! We would be more sad if our book characters died than if someone we know died! That's crazyyyy!

Wow! This was a really freaking cool TedTalk. I'm probably gonna go talk to Jennifer Barnes and tell her how freaking amazing her TedTalk was because that was so interesting and fun to listen to.

I think she's right though. Name of the Wind and the Wise Man's Fear are easily close to 2000 pages when combined. 2000 pages of getting to know the main character, you could say I'm pretty attached.

And if Kvothe died, I would be genuinely sad and probably cry my eyes out, but I would probably not cry for one of my classmates that I don't know super well.

Is this wrong? Is this immoral or cruel? Or is it just the reality of the situation. I spent more time learning about ad investing in a fictional character than a human being and I don't think there is anything wrong with that because we do it every day.

These were both amazing TedTalks.

Very informative.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22yoaiLYb7M&list=PLrWYQjLLbXcjPshEANsTgZZHDnBQt7N30&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ihs241zeg&list=PLrWYQjLLbXcjPshEANsTgZZHDnBQt7N30&index=1

Image result for Ted talks
TedTalksssssss
Link





Comments

Popular Posts