Story Laboratory: Writers Write Notes

Hello!

We're going to dive into writers write website and see what we can find to not make my stories so bad....

The first thing I was brought to is Will Self's 10 Rules For Writing Fiction.

I don't know if I believe in the whole, write all of something first and then go back later. For me, I would want to make it perfect a piece at a time. And then at the end, the whole thing is perfect because you made sure each piece was perfect along the way.

The edit?

I'm a big believer in carrying around a notebook. I always forget things and if I was trying to be a writer, this would definitely be something that I would need to commit to.

Stop reading fiction if you want to write fiction? I feel like Will is making broad statements without any evidence or reasoning to back it up. I don't know Will.... I'm not buying in 100% just yet.

I like his idea of writing about life but I feel like he is pushing the author into the direction in which HE WANTS you to write fiction instead of how you should write fiction in general.

Will is being very strict in his rules. Solitary confinement is quite the sentence for someone who just wants to write fiction.

I bought into his last rules about taking yourself on long walks but then he told me to stand in a corner and shout to myself. You lost me Will......

Secondly, I read 5 Unexpected Ways To Fuel Your Story by Anthony Ehlers.

It was a really good, quick read. I liked all of his ideas because it almost gets your mind of writing so the ideas come to you and then you go back into writer's mode and capitalize on the ideas that came to you while running, or relaxing, or reading.

This website seems like it is for the author that is very serious about his writing. I can tell that we' as students, are being pushed to become good writers than the day before.

Thanks!


Comments

Popular Posts