Reading Notes: The Illiad, Part B

Hello again! We are diving into the second part of the reading for this week so let's do it to it.

So pretty much everything I know about the Illiad comes from the movie Troy. I mentioned it in the previous notes.

In the movie, they did not fight over Patrochlus's body. And I think it's a little strange that they did. I feel like it would be honorable to give it back to the greeks. But honor is probably not what they're going for.

While I don't know what this means, Paris said it before he went into battle with Hector.

"now to one and now to another"

What I think it means is "Victory was given to one person and now it is given to another, different person." 

So Hector chose not to fight Ajax because he knew he would not win? Interesting.

Achille's horses cried for Patrochlus. That is an interesting choice of anthropomorphization.

That word is spelled correctly, I checked.

I think it was very arrogant of Hector to put on the armor of Achilles after Patrochlus had just been slain. They did not make him out to be arrogant in Troy.

So Apollo took on the form of Agenor. I didn't realize how much interaction the gods had with this story.

Aw yes. Hector's mother tries to convince him to come inside the gates of the city by reminding him of the breasts that fed him when he was young. That ought to do it.

It seems everything twist that happens, they have to proclaim it out loud so everyone knows. It's old writing but still, a little annoying.

Achilles is not very humble in his victory. It seems grief has robbed him of his humility.

I like how willing the king is to give up everything he owns just to get his son back. He's a good dad.

Hermes coming into the story was a little unnecessary I think.

Not as... heroic as I was expecting.

I am still learning how to take notes as a storyteller but I hope I am getting better.

Image result for Achilles
Priam pleading with Achilles

I liked the Illiad. It is VERY different from the movie Troy, which depicts it but I think the movie does a good job with representing the characters and their personalities. I'm interested to see where my storytelling will go. 

Until next time. 

Bibliography: 

Homer, The Illiad, Link

Comments

Popular Posts