Reading Notes: Ancient Egyptian Myths and Stories - Reading A





Hello!

Abode means home. I did not know that before I read this, so I had to look it up.

I wondered what Nu looks liked, so I googled him!

This was the best picture I could find of images labeled for reuse of Nu.

Image result for nu egyptian mythology
Nu Raising the Sun
Link

"Upon the water's breast"

Interesting word choice, ancient Egyptians. 

It seems like water is not seen as a source of life in Egyptian mythology like it is in other cultures.

They continue to call it a waste, and that doesn't seem like it is similar in other cultures. 

This diction is KILLING ME!!

So from what I can tell, Nu's only purpose was to create Ra. After that, he is useless. Ra created the earth and people, all Nu did was create Ra. Seems pretty insignificant to me. 

I'm waiting for something exciting to happen. It's very G.R.R.M-esque so far, very descriptive and detailed. 

The idea of people and gods having secret names is an idea I've seen in other literature like my favorite novel, Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. 

A serpent from saliva?? Interesting!

Some of these stories make no sense to me. I don't know if it's just me, but it has no point or meaning. It barely has plot. 

I was reading Osiris and came upon this line "... hither and thither..." 

I did not know this was even possible...

The Heart of Isis was an interesting story. It was better than the rest of them, so I kind of got lost in the reading, but I liked it. 

I've heard through several sources, specifically the Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan, that Horus was the greatest warrior to ever live so it's cool to see that confirmed in these stories. 

Hey! Origin story of a mummy! That's really interesting!

What an interesting crocodile story. This story, like many, lack diversity in plot and it throws me off! I feel like I'm waiting for a big twist or a lesson to be learned, and there isn't one. I'm curious if this is constant in all mythology. 

Again, with the green jewel. There's no point to it. They rowed, she lost the jewel, the homie found it and they were all given gifts. It lacks meaning or a message. 

I suppose that's I'm used to. I don't know. 

Bibliography:

Ancient Egyptian Myths and Stories

Comments

Popular Posts