Feedback Strategies

Hello again!

The first article I read was "The Difference Between Praise and Feedback" by MindShift.

CAROL DWECK RETURNS!!

The idea of praising effort instead of outcome is really interesting. We read about this in the growth mindset section, and I think it's a really cool and really neat idea that I will try to attempt one day. Far down the road....

I don't agree that process praise is manipulative. You're reinforcing the idea that hard work is more important than the outcome, and I think in most situations, that's true. I can tell you right now that anyone can be an engineer, all it takes is hard work. I think you can be whatever you want through hard work and that's what this is emphasizing. I don't think it's manipulative at all.

This is definitely a different way of parenting that I got and a different way of thinking, but I like it a lot and I will probably talk about feedforward and other things in the career fair this week :)

The second article I read was "Why Do So Many Managers Avoid Giving Praise?" by Jack Zenger and Joseph Folkman.

I understand how hard giving feedback can be. As Vice President of my organization, giving feedback is something that I should do, but I often find difficult because I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings or make it seem like I'm better than them. Especially when it's people that are in the same year as me (if that makes sense).

I think the previous article applies a lot in this situation as well. Praising process over product. I think it's also important to pair negative feedback with positive affirmation and explain why you're giving feedback in the first place.

FEEDBACK IS A FORM OF RESPECT.

If I correct you or give you feedback, it's because I care enough about you to want you to be better or get better.

There is a strategy in giving feedback, and I think a lot of people don't implement it, but I hope that one day I can.





Image result for feedback
Feedback
Link

Until next time. 

Comments

Popular Posts