Week 2 Reading Anthology

Hello again!

Notes I took while reading:

So I'm low-key freaking out because I have seen authors use this style of writing, almost word for word. Patrick Rothfuss, my favorite author of all time, wrote a book called The Name of the Wind and in it, he used the phrase "who had power over all things" many times. Taborlin the Great is the character who knew the name of all things and therefor had power over all things. I have never seen this writing in any other book I've read and I think it's really cool to see the similarities.

Okay. Just finished the rabbit story about the moon, and that is definitely a story that is seen in other places as well. A god or deity coming down to test his subjects. For example, Abraham. God tested Abraham by asking him to sacrifice him. Abraham did so, but right before he struck him, God told him to stop. So we've seen this type of story before. I think using animals instead of humans was an interesting choice, but okay.


The first thing I thought of was translation. How the story translated from Japanese to English and why they used words like "ne'er" and "thou" and words of that nature. Did words like that directly transfer over? Or did they improvise that?

Susano-wo transforming his bride to be into a comb was very unexpected.

This story is a lot like many other stories out there. The people have an enemy they can't slay, so they seek help. A hero offers his help in return for a prize, in this case as in many others, a woman, their daughter. He defeats the monster and saves the day. The end. I feel like this is one of the stories that heralded the beginning of the Hero's Journey.

Alright. I just finished the story about the young man on his warpath. That was a WEIRD story. The whole thing just to teach about why we listen to ghosts. The beginning sets up this story that he's going to do great things and in the end, they summarize his achievements. I thought that was so silly. Like, I don't understand. That seemed so out of place to me. I don't know. I'm not an author.

The Metamorphosis story is really hard to follow. I find myself rereading several parts of the story because the way it is written. I don't like that. So this is what I gather. A man fell in love with a statue. Venus made that statue a real person. And then they got married. I'm pretty sure I just told you the whole story I just read in three sentences. Not my favorite story, not gonna lie. It had a lot of detail but I wouldn't call it a beautiful story. I don't even know if I would call it a good story...

Did I just read the first account of toxic masculinity? I liked the tricksters story. The end anyways. I feel like the first half was almost unnecessary. The road, the ox, and the tree were all necessary characters. The same story could've been told, and the same ending achieved if the man had just met the jackal in the first place. However, I liked it. I loved the ending.

I very much enjoyed The Lion's Share. I think the message it delivered was honorable. You will participate in the hunt of a goal but you won't share the rewards. That's the meaning that I got from it.

I really enjoyed the second story within Fables. This time, the meaning of the story was given to us at the end, which I think takes away from the critical thinking we are required to do in order to understand the story. But I enjoyed it.

I loved the third story in Fables. I definitely had an AH HA moment and the meaning of the story made sense to me. This concept appears in everyone's lives every day through rumors and our retelling of events but I like this story.

Okay. Rude. I liked the fourth story. Again, the meaning was given to us depriving us of the opportunity to figure it out ourselves, but that's okay. Every story has a lion in it in some way and I wonder what culture the authors of these stories come from and how they view lions in that culture, It seems like they revere them quite a bit.

I chuckled when I thought of a Basilisk jumping out and the first thing it says to the woman is "give me your daughter for stealing these roses." What an interesting plot. And when I say interesting, I mean weird. First off, the parentheses were very out of place. Especially in an old story like this. Secondly, I feel like it lacks an element of romance. Since there's no one else, the guy has to marry her. Not because he loves her or she's a good person, there's "no help for it." Not quite the prince charming stories we are used to but that's okay.

Image result for patrick rothfuss

                      Patrick Rothfuss
                                  PAT

This is my boy Patrick Rothfuss. He is an INCREDIBLE author and I have never read a book that is as beautiful as his. And I've been waiting 8 GOING ON 9 YEARS for the third one to release.

Until next time. 

Comments

Popular Posts