Reading Notes: Italian Popular Tales - Reading A

That seems quite harsh for just picking a rose.

WAIT. I'VE READ THIS. DOESN'T THE DRAGON TURN INTO A PRINCE?!

I KNEW IT! I have read that story before. Good story. Good story.

Are you telling me that this broom is about to betray this girl because she didn't give it something to eat? NO LOYALTY

The third sister was just like "I'll do better than the other two. They're dead, and surely it won't happen to me, I'm better."

YIKES.

Every story is about how a hideous monster turns into a prince or handsome man. Italian tales seem to have a certain theme going on.

Also, in every story, there is a father and three daughters. Every one.

This man is about to kill his own daughter for loving him like water and salt, you're so dramatic.

What an interesting story about Catherine. It's plot was not very linear at all, but that's okay.

That's what you get, serpent. I wonder if idioms like sly as a fox and calling people a snake came from stories like this. And people probably don't even know it.

These were definitely interesting stories to say the least. I was looking for pieces of Italian culture embedded in the story, but I didn't find anything that shouted at me. Now, I'm wondering if what I perceive as not Italian, is in fact just so, but it has been normalized to me. Food for thought.

Image result for italy
Italy
Bibliography:

Italian Popular Tales by Thomas Frederick Crane (1885).

Comments

Popular Posts