StoryLab: EmpoWord

I really like the quote they lead with. I thin interpretation is a fascinating thing, and it really shows in the example they provided us.

I think there is a lot to take away from this website, specifically this chapter.

I think a lot of movies and stories today lose sight of scope. And when you do, you're trying to do too much in one piece of work. And then there are movies like Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame, that balance scope really well. The scope of their undertaking is huge, it bounces around planets and time periods but it does it so well, and keeps the reader or members of the audience engaged the whole time. It does do a lot, but it balances it really well.

I think another thing that jumped out at me was the section of building characters. I think character progression is so important to have in stories, and it really gets your audience to invest in your story. For example, Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss has INCREDIBLE character progression. Kvothe, our main character, goes from a kid a part of a troupe, to a urchin in the streets, to a student at the university, to an innkeeper. It has incredible character progression, and you can see the ways Kvothe changes throughout the book. Counter to that, I think a movie like Dunkirk has poor character progression and that's a reason why I didn't like it. I didn't leave that theater knowing anyone's name or anything. I disliked it.

Finally, I like the templates the website provides you to help write your stories. I wish I had these when I was writing my stories.

Image result for Dunkirk
Dunkirk

Comments

  1. Hi Rhett!

    I like the point you made about character progression. I think that's so important for a movie or tv show or any story to do well. You mentioned the Avengers earlier and it made me think of Iron Man. Tony Stark starts off as this rich guy with a big ego, to him being knocked down a few notches when he's kidnapped, to eventually becoming one of the best superheroes in the MCU and saving the world. He's definitely had one of, if not, the best character arcs in the MCU.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts